NORTHAMPTON FIRE DEPARTMENT HISTORY
Before 1994, three separate fire companies under the banner of Northampton Fire Department protected the Borough of Northampton. They were the Alliance Fire Company No.1, the Central Fire Company, and Northampton Fire Company No.1. The Alliance Fire Company No.1 was founded in on October 14th 1902. It is still located at 7th Street and Washington Avenue. Later in 1909, the Borough of Northampton was further protected by the addition of two more fire companies. The Northampton Fire Company No. 1, which was located at 25th and Main Streets, was founded on June 1st, 1909. The Central Fire Company, which was located at 15th and Main Streets, was founded December 9th, 1909. In 1994 it was decided to consolidate the three-fire companies into one centrally located station. Under the Central Fire Companies charter, The Northampton Fire Department sits at 4 Lerchenmiller Drive.
Since then the fire departments responsibilities have increased with the growth and complexities of a modern day Borough of Northampton. With a population of over 12,000 residents, the services provided by the Northampton Fire Department have also changed. The fire department currently operates three engines, a ladder/rescue truck, and an utility/support unit. In addition to the .normal. firefighting activities, the fire department also operates two specialty services in the form of a water rescue/ dive team and fire police.
After the Northampton Emergency Squad (now Northampton Regional EMS) decided to end their dive program in 1998, the Northampton Fire Department acquired the unit and began to build a team. Today this team consists of eight divers and ten water rescue/ support personnel. The currently operate a GMC Suburban rescue truck and two boats.
The Northampton Fire Police can be found operating at several of the Borough of Northampton.s functions and events. Not only do they provide traffic control in times of emergency, but also provide parking and crowd control at the Community Days Festival, events at the Community Center, and at the Northampton High School Football games (GO KIDS!!!). This group of dedicated individuals currently operates a 2007 Ford F-550 custom unit.
Other accomplishments for the fire department over the years has included replacing a 1971 American La France engine with a brand new KME Excel, replacing a 1974 Seagraves aerial with a 1981 Mack/LTI aerial, and replacing a 1978 Chevrolet Utility van with a brand new 2002 Freightliner/KME. The fire department also has two Bullard Thermal Imaging cameras, three multi gas detectors, a new complete set of Hurst Rescue tools, and 18 state certified wild land firefighters.